Following additional impact/concerns related to the ongoing pandemic, the WCCHA announces the following adjustments to the league COVID-19 policy and competition structure for the remainder of the 2021-2022 season:
Updated 2021-2022 Season COVID Policy and Competition Rules
- All previous and future COVID-related or weather-confirmed postponements/cancelations will be ruled “no contest” for the purposes of Division standings. Any impacted interdivisional or independent series will be cancelled.
- Teams are expected to fulfill all currently scheduled obligations; if weather or COVID precipitates a cancelation, the WCCHA may require evidence to confirm the reason for cancelation. Inappropriate use of this policy will result in removal of WCCHA Tournament eligibility
- Teams may still reschedule any previously postponed games where feasible; considerations should include meeting ACHA minimum for postseason competition (must play 18 games prior to end of final ranking period), availability of ice, etc.
- Based only on games completed/played, the WCCHA will recognize and award Division Championships and corresponding automatic spot at the WCCHA Tournament
- The remaining six spots at the WCCHA Tournament will now be granted solely by finish in the league-wide KRACH Rankings. The KRACH Rankings represent the best statistical model available to rank teams based upon uneven games played/scheduled opponents. The WCCHA Tournament will seed as usual using the KRACH Rankings.
- IMPACT/CHANGE: Teams finishing #2 and #3 in Division standings will not automatically qualify for the 2021-2022 season only
Effectively, the KRACH Rankings will now be the primary source of tournament qualification; forfeits will not be assessed for COVID-related or weather cancelations. Teams will earn their spot in the WCCHA Tournament based upon actual game competition, as calculated using the KRACH ranking formula.
This change is only in effect for the 2021-2022 season; the regular competition rules will once again be in place for the 2022-2023 season.